What helps your heart can also help your brain. Maintaining mental function is an important aspect of healthy aging. New studies have shown that the risk factors leading to heart disease and stroke also contribute to dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss and cognitive dysfunction. ECI’s comprehensive screening and treatment programs provide the necessary tools to maintain a healthy brain throughout your lifespan.
- “Dementia is not a normal part of aging.”
- Worldwide 35.6 million people live with dementia.
- The number of people with dementia is expected to double every 20 years!
- A new case of dementia is diagnosed every 4 seconds.
- In the US, 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia.
- In US, 1 in 10 adults report and/or are diagnosed with depression, with a projected increase of 20% per year.
- 11% of Americans over age 12 take an antidepressant; approximately 34 million people.
- Only 30% of depression sufferers are actually helped by antidepressant medications. Most such medications have severe side effects.
How we can help
“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”
Seeing each client through a ‘Whole-person’ lens of health and healing is our greatest offering. Our extensive clinical experience and expertise coupled with a deep respect and compassion for each person’s journey, allows us to provide services tailored to each person’s unique needs.
Our holistic assessment is complemented by attention to the following areas:
“When you listen, you have love. When you love, you have compassion, you care…. If you have all of these sentiments, this is important, a deep discernment for another human being.”
Papa Henry Allen Auwae
Dr. Raterink and his staff are committed not only to the art and science of medicine, but also to acknowledging the role of spirituality as it relates to a person’s well-being. Within a person, there exists an indivisible wholeness, an interconnectedness with all living things. This expanded awareness of “reality” is a key component in designing an “Individualized Care Program”.
Individualized Care Programs involve:
- Honoring the wholeness, spirit and choices of each client
- Skillful assessment to include “life story” as a key component
- Interpretation of innovative and conventional diagnostic data
- Collaborative treatment programs; utilizing the best of conventional, alternative and complementary medicine.
Targeted supplementation regimens are based upon patient evaluation and skilled interpretation of testing results. These prescribed regimens can offer improved efficacy and greater health benefits compared to “off-the-shelf” regimens. In designing client regimens, Dr. Raterink spends extensive time researching the most advanced and highest quality nutriceutical, herbal and homeopathic preparations. ECI chooses to partner with companies who provide products that have undergone rigorous testing and quality control. These products are felt to be safer as they have undergone testing inclusive for: identity, potency, biological activity, microbiological (bacteria, yeast, mold, aflatoxins), and heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury). ECI prefers to work with companies that subscribe to the new GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) requirements established by the FDA to ensure the safety and effectiveness of dietary supplements.
Optimal health is built on a solid foundation. Amino acids are the primary building blocks. In turn, an optimal nervous system is built on a foundation of healthy neurotransmitter levels. A steady supply of amino acids in the diet, along with targeted amino acid formulations can provide a strong foundation for good mental, physical and emotional health.
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is the use of supplemental doses of hormones that have a chemical structure identical to the hormones the body naturally produces (versus patented pharmaceutical preparations such as Premarin and Provera). Hormones serve as powerful chemical messengers that orchestrate many of the body’s internal functions and organ behaviors. If utilized properly, they have the potential to rejuvenate, regenerate and restore.
- Vitamin C formulations for: infections, immune stimulation, complementary cancer treatment
- Chelation therapy for: detoxification of heavy metals
- Vitamin and mineral formulations for: chronic fatigue, migraines, asthma, viral illnesses, hypertension, and other chronic conditions.
- Agents for the reduction of blood vessel plaque and inflammation for the prevention and treatment of Cardiovascular Disease.
- Lipoic acid palladium complexes (LAPd): is a new category of supplements which protect cell DNA and RNA, and assist the body to produce energy to function properly. This unique complex has powerful antioxidant properties which can help to neutralize the free radicals and convert them into a usable energy source for our cells. It also replaces specific nutrients that may be depleted during certain therapies.
Please see our Healing Arts page.
-Comprehensive Blood Chemistry
This group of blood tests provides an overall picture of the body’s chemical balance and metabolism. Metabolism refers to all the physical and chemical processes in the body that use energy. These blood tests help to identify certain problems, are useful in following a health condition and help to monitor whether a treatment for a specific problem is working.
-Prevent-An-Event™ Cardiovascular Screening
Prevent cognitive decline and memory loss through ECI’s unique cardiovascular screening program.
-Urinary Neurotransmitter Testing
This urine test assesses for neurotransmitter (chemical messengers) imbalance. The nervous system serves as a central control mechanism for nearly every bodily process. The brain maintains balance within the body through the use of neurotransmitters, which act as chemical messengers for the connections between the brain and all other organs. These imbalances may lead to the manifestation of psychological, somatic (body) and mood disorders, as well as related clinical complaints.
A saliva or blood test which assesses hormone balance and evaluates total hormone levels. It is especially suggested for patients utilizing hormone therapy, including bio-identical hormones. This evaluation includes assessment of estrogens, progesterone, testosterone and thyroid hormones. The goal should always be hormonal balance based in science vs. guessing. So when utilizing hormone replacement therapy, the best philosophy is “Test…don’t guess!”
-Adrenal Salivary Index
A saliva test which measures the levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, and provides an evaluation of how cortisol levels differ throughout the day. This test is used to assess conditions such as chronic stress, adrenal fatigue, anxiety, obesity, diabetes, depression, insomnia and many other chronic conditions.
-Heavy Metal Toxicity Testing
This urine test provides an analysis of the levels of toxic metals after the administration of a metal detoxification agent. It is an objective way to evaluate for the accumulation of toxic metals in the body. Chronic low level exposure to toxic metals can result in significant retention. This retention can be associated with a vast array of adverse health effects and chronic disease.
-Telomere Testing: Crucial Biomarker of Aging
A telomere test is a blood test that measures the length of telomeres which are the protective structures of DNA located at the tips of chromosomes. Telomeres protect all of the other DNA strands on the chromosomes. Short telomeres are associated with almost every affliction of old age. Long telomeres are associated with healthy aging and longevity. This test is intended to reveal a person’s biological age. This test can also be helpful as a marker of risk in cardiovascular and other disease processes associated with aging.
-Genetic markers for memory loss
Many disorders may be associated with gene mutations to include: Alzheimer’s, neurodegenerative disorders and depression. Awareness of genetic mutations can assist in determining the need for preventive treatment.
Please visit our Healthy Aging section.